Setting ROOTPW not properly documented in fai-guide?

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Thu Feb 25 15:12:44 CET 2010

Hello!

I can confirm that it works at least under FAI 3.1.8 (etch). I prepare
my encrypted passwords from the plain text with

makepasswd --clearfrom $PLAINFILE --crypt-md5 --randomseed NNNNNNN | awk '{ print $2 }'

(NNNNNN is an integer)

and store them in a closely guarded file. During FAI installation one of
my .var scripts extracts the correct encrypted password from that file
and sets ROOTPW to the value.

The actual password setting occurs in scripts/FAIBASE/10-misc (from the
sample scripts which came with FAI) and the corresponding lines are

# set root password
echo "root:$ROOTPW" | $ROOTCMD chpasswd --encrypted

Maybe you have modified that script, or it is not run at all in your
setup?

Toomas