ubuntu installation just like from DVD Installer

Patrick Cervicek patrick at failist.spamtrap.hs-esslingen.de
Sun Feb 7 14:17:53 CET 2010

I am installing Ubuntu Karmic with FAI and it works. No problems so far.

>From time to time I recognize that some packages are missing. Packages, which
would be there if it would be a "normal" DVD Installation.
To get this "normal packages" in my ubuntu I have to put them
in my KARMIC-Packages-List. Examples:
   software-center
   jockey-gtk jockey-kde # "Hardware Drivers"/ Proprietary drivers

I tried already several metapackages e.g. "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
but there are still packages missing.
I know, I could do an tarball but then I would need to change too many
preconfigured values.

I would like to ask how other FAI-Ubuntu-admins are doing it:
Do you have custom package lists?
Do you care that some configuration differs from a "normal" ubuntu
installation? e.g.
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/FAIUbuntuSudo
Did you make good experiences with your FAI-Ubuntu Installations?
Are there other diffences between FAI and DVD I should be aware of?

Thank you,
Patrick

BTW: I just published an overview over our FAI environment on my blog.
http://lisas.de/~patrick/blog/?p=113