RAID1 and grub - again

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Feb 5 12:38:58 CET 2010

[...]

> Please note that I had to add "51-grub" to check for GRUB / GRUB_PC
> because testing for GRUB_PC in "50-host-classes" does not work (if you
> add GRUB_PC to any of your machines in there) as the classes are only
> added and detected by ifclass after the script has terminated.
>
> > There's no error check here:
> >
> >> +       GROOT=$(device2grub $device)
> >
> > so you may end up executing:
> >
> >> +       $ROOTCMD grub-install --no-floppy "$GROOT"
> >
> > with an empty 3rd argument (1st grub-install argument), which will produce
> > an error (which is not handled).
>
> I checked the sample-scripts but could not find an example on how to
> handle such an error. So I did a "exit 1" if no grub-device can be
> made up. Is that ok?

First of all, thanks for debugging all this; I merged most of your changes into
the experimental branch, which already had a somewhat different grub script.
Would you mind testing that one? It's the fai package with version
3.3.3+experimental11 (see
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Main_Page#getting_FAI).

It uses a simple substitution in case device2grub returns an empty string.

Thanks a lot,