issue with setup-storage, squeeze, and SW Raid1

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Dec 23 19:09:13 CET 2010

Hi again,

> Hi Michael,
>
> Yes, that describes the issue perfectly.
>
> Thus, at your suggestion I made the change to my SW_RAID config in disk_config file, which is to add in the "align-at":
>
>  disk_config disk1 align-at:32256B
>
> This worked perfectly. The client installed and then booted, no problems. Again, this is 4.0~48 FAI with the 3.3.5 perl modules and setup-storage script copied into my nfsroot.
>
> I then restored the 4.0~48 perl modules, setup-storage script, and lib files to my nfsroot and restarted the client. That worked just fine.
>
> Next I transplanted the 3.4.5 perl modules, setup-storage script, and lib files to my nfsroot and restarted the client. No go.  fai.log shows my disk_config file then Error in task partition. Traceback: task_error task_partition task task_install task task_action task main
>
> Now, this MAY be due to the fact that the FAI installation itself is 4.0~48 with a transplanted 3.4.5 setup-storage, yet with the 3.3.5 version transplanted in it worked just fine. Kind of odd.

[...]

I'm not sure I fully understood. I wouldn't quite expect the above disk_config
line to work with any non-experimental version (if it does, it's rather a bug in
the parser, meaning the parser isn't strict enough). For both 3.4.5 and 3.3.5,
however, I would hope things work fine if you just remove the align-at:32256B
part. Could you confirm that?

Thanks a lot,