setup-storage fails when preserving LVM volume

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Dec 17 17:55:12 CET 2010

[...]
> The /boot partition has be built by FAI 3.3.5 (setup-storage 1.2.1),
> asking for a size of 512 like I still do now. The parted command was
> the following:
>
> parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary ext3 32256B 534643199B

Oh yes, since then (at least in experimental builds) the cylinder-alignment was
dropped, which causes the following change in behaviour: Previously, sizes were
rounded downwards to have partitions end at cylinder boundaries. What you
actually got with the above command was a partition with a size of 509.844 MiB;
to retain precisely that size use 522081K as size specifier; otherwise go for
509, which will give you a gap of approximately 0.8MB.

> The installation does not work better after setting the size of
> /boot to 511, the log is exactly the same as with 512. Setting the
> size to 480 makes it work, though, the log is joined.

So, well, 511 just was still too big :-)

[...]

Best regards,