Software RAID + LVM2

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Dec 14 15:18:05 CET 2010

> Hi,
>
> For the upcoming release of Squeeze we want to make a clean install
> on some 400 or so developer desktops. Our issue is that we run
> software RAID and LVM2 on those desktops and preservation of volumes
> in this setup isn't supported by FAI at the moment. This is an issue
> since some of the developers keep several hundred gigabytes of data
> in their /home and we would like to keep that instead of moving it
> to temporary storage. We will have enough work on our hands when
> upgrade is due.
>
> Is there a solution for this?

That might depend on when exactly you plan to do this migration. It seems there
is some bug that needs fixing, and I'm currently extremely busy with real-life,
with little hope of finding time for finding sufficient time before Christmas.
Would that still be an acceptable deadline? Would you also be prepared to do
some early testing of a bugfixed version? I guess I'll also need testers...

Thanks and sorry for the not-so-helpful news,