what's the correct way to declare LVM on entire disk ?

Mathieu Alorent malorent at echo.fr
Mon Dec 6 12:42:03 CET 2010

Hi,

A few times ago, we've improve setup-storage so LVM and RAID arrays
could refer to diskX to use entire disk.

I've found in the changelogs that it has been integrated in
setup-storage 1.1.2 ; fai (3.3) ; Tue, 03 Nov 2009

"changelog : setup-storage/Parser.pm: LVM volume groups or RAID arrays
may now refer to diskX to use the entire disk"

This has well worked, but today we've found that it doesn't works
anymore.

setup-storage tell us : "Empty disk_config stanza for device /dev/sdb"

We used to declare this type of config like this :

disk_config disk1 bootable:1
primary	/boot		100	ext3	rw
primary	swap		1G	swap	sw
primary	/		1G	ext3	rw,errors=remount-ro
logical	/usr		2G	ext3	rw
logical	/var		2G	ext3	rw
logical	/home		512	ext3	rw
logical	/tmp		1G	ext3	rw
logical	-		4G-	-	-

disk_config disk2

disk_config lvm
vg VG1		disk1.9
[...]

disk_config lvm
vg VG2			disk2
VG2-PART1		/PART1		30G-	xfs rw

I've tried to comment line : "disk_config disk2"
this give us the error : /dev/sdb is not a valid block device

Could you tell me what is the "correct" way to declare such a configuration please ?

Bests
Mât