FAI 3.4.0 config space mount problem

Jeffrey Stolte stolte at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 24 21:40:52 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:10:27AM -0600, Jeffrey Stolte wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 06:38:03PM +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:
> > * Jeffrey Stolte <stolte at ucar.edu> [Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 10:05:32AM -0600]:
> >
> > > I have been trying to use FAI 3.4.0 under 64-bit squeeze and
> > > I keep seeing the following error on the install client:
> >
> > >   mount.nfs: mount point /var/lib/fai/config does not exist
> > >   Error in task confdir. Traceback: task_error main
> >
> > > The nfsroot mounts fine, but the FAI config space does not.
> > > If I list /var/lib on the client, all I see is a 'discover'
> > > directory.  Note that /live/image/live/filesystem.dir/var/lib/fai
> > > does exist, though.  Is anyone else seeing this problem?
> >
> > Which versions of kernel, initramfs-tools and live-initramfs are you
> > using?
> >
> > I'm aware of a regression in aufs where directories
> > can't be accessed when read for the first the time.
> >
> > Grml's live-initramfs (>=1.177.1-1grml.02) is supposed to work
> > around this issue, see:
> >
> >   http://git.grml.org/?p=live-initramfs-grml.git;a=commitdiff;h=cb9bd23e7cebf7852e632266b4c7e63580c7816e
> >
> > live-initramfs version 1.177.1-1grml.03 is available at:
> >
> >    http://deb.grml.org grml-stable
> >    http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de lenny/koeln

As a quick test, I installed the 05mountpoints script from the Grml
live-initramfs version 1.177.1-1grml.03 package into my nfsroot and
then rebuilt the initrd.  The client can now mount the config space
properly and the FAI install works as expected.  I sure hope this
bug will be fixed before squeeze is released (either in aufs or with
an updated live-initramfs package).  Thanks very much for your help
with this problem.

Jeff