FAI 3.4.0 config space mount problem

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Aug 24 18:38:03 CEST 2010

* Jeffrey Stolte <stolte at ucar.edu> [Tue Aug 24, 2010 at 10:05:32AM -0600]:

> I have been trying to use FAI 3.4.0 under 64-bit squeeze and
> I keep seeing the following error on the install client:

>   mount.nfs: mount point /var/lib/fai/config does not exist
>   Error in task confdir. Traceback: task_error main

> The nfsroot mounts fine, but the FAI config space does not.
> If I list /var/lib on the client, all I see is a 'discover'
> directory.  Note that /live/image/live/filesystem.dir/var/lib/fai
> does exist, though.  Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Which versions of kernel, initramfs-tools and live-initramfs are you
using?

I'm aware of a regression in aufs where directories
can't be accessed when read for the first the time.

Grml's live-initramfs (>=1.177.1-1grml.02) is supposed to work
around this issue, see:

  http://git.grml.org/?p=live-initramfs-grml.git;a=commitdiff;h=cb9bd23e7cebf7852e632266b4c7e63580c7816e

live-initramfs version 1.177.1-1grml.03 is available at:

   http://deb.grml.org grml-stable
   http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de lenny/koeln

I also remember a chat about this issue on #fai as well where the
user just used the Grml-kernel 2.6.33-grml[64] and it's working for
him fine with it. See:

  http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Grml_Kernel

HTH && regards,
-mika-