Updated FAI 3.3.5 packages for Ubuntu Lucid

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Fri Aug 13 08:22:37 CEST 2010

Guten Morgen ;)

On Friday, August 13, 2010 05:27:37 am Juergen Kahnert wrote:
> Hi Stephan,
>
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 06:51:46PM +0200, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > I have a working lucid setup running without any tweaks of ipconfig...
>
> lucky you. :)
>
> > I wonder if there is something else happening during before or during
> > kernel dhcp request via ipconfig...
> >
> > you could try to use debug=1 as kernel append variable to get more
> > info from the initramfs thingy...
>
> It throws a kernel panic and scrolls everyting else out of screen.  No
> chance to scroll back.  It's really annoying to debug initrd bugs. :(
>
> But ipconfig isn't the only problem inside this initrd.  This whole
> thing needs to be fixed.  It may help to replace ipconfig.  As everybody
> is able to read the scripts/live comment:
>
>     # this is tricky (and ugly) because ipconfig sometimes just hangs/runs
> into # an endless loop; iff execution fails give it two further tries,
> that's # why we use '$devlist $devlist $devlist' for the other for loop
>
> This is crap and should be fixed.

Ok, I'm all for it ;)

The colleagues from the LTS project (especially those guys using it on
EDUBUNTU) were replacing ipconfig with a small dhcpclient (udhcpcd or whatever)

I wonder if it's possible to find a common solution to replace ipconfig from
klibc with a sane dhcp client implementation which works.

If we could find some people interested in this work, I would love to help :)

Regards,

\sh