preserving dos partitions

Birgit Kattner Birgit.Kattner at hrz.uni-giessen.de
Thu Aug 5 15:25:11 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag 05 August 2010 14:25:48 schrieb Michael Tautschnig:
> Hi Birgit,
>
> > Hi,
> > how can I preserve dos partitions using fai disk_config?
> > Here an example of a server to be installed (partitions 1 +2 should
> > be preserved):
>
> [...]
>
> > This is my configuration file:
> >
> > disk_config disk1 preserve_reinstall:1,2
> > primary /dos           70-80      fat32        ???
> > primary /dos2          210-220    fat32      ???
>
> [...]
>
> I'd have several notes here:
>
> - Your "???" should be replaced by the desired mount options for fstab, so
> maybe "ro" if you want read-only access.
> - Here I assuming you want to mount them at all, given you specified mount
>   points; you could also replace the mount point by "-", if you don't
> intend to have them mounted.
> - If these are really service partitions, preserve_always might be more
>   desirable instead of preserve_reinstall. If this is the case, you can
> also go for a size of 0, setup-storage won't care much.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Michael
Dear Michael,
thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, these are DELL service partitions and I want to preserve them but not
to mount them.
I don't know how to do the configuration for these two lines.

The '???' is meant for the whole line. The error message of setup-storage was:

unknown/invalid filesystem type fat32 (mkfs.fat32 not found in PATH)

Is this the right way?:

disk_config disk1 preserve_always:1,2
primary - - vfat ro
primary - - vfat ro
primary /boot          500        ext3    rw
logical /              15G-16G    ext3    rw,errors=remount-ro  createopts="-m
5" tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"

Kind Regards
Birgit

Hochschulrechenzentrum der
Justus-Liebig-Universitaet
Heinrich-Buff-Ring 44

D-35392 Giessen, Germany

email: birgit.kattner at hrz.uni-giessen.de
phone: +49 641 99 13022 (+49 641 99 13001)
fax:   +49 641 99 19844