preserving dos partitions

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Aug 5 14:25:48 CEST 2010

Hi Birgit,

> Hi,
> how can I preserve dos partitions using fai disk_config?
> Here an example of a server to be installed (partitions 1 +2 should
> be preserved):

[...]

> This is my configuration file:
>
> disk_config disk1 preserve_reinstall:1,2
> primary /dos           70-80      fat32        ???
> primary /dos2          210-220    fat32      ???

[...]

I'd have several notes here:

- Your "???" should be replaced by the desired mount options for fstab, so maybe
  "ro" if you want read-only access.
- Here I assuming you want to mount them at all, given you specified mount
  points; you could also replace the mount point by "-", if you don't intend to
  have them mounted.
- If these are really service partitions, preserve_always might be more
  desirable instead of preserve_reinstall. If this is the case, you can also go
  for a size of 0, setup-storage won't care much.

Hope this helps,