linux-2.6/linux-base libata transition

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Apr 13 13:26:35 CEST 2010

> Hi,
>
> Debian release team has published the latest "Bits from the Release
> Team" (dated April 1st) and this document
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/04/msg00001.html
> includes the following:
>
> > There are some other transitions that we are aware of that are
> > currently prepared and/or already going on:
>
> [...]
>
> >  * linux-2.6/linux-base libata transition
> >     New drivers using 'libata' are about to replace the old IDE
> >     drivers. linux-base will prompt you on x86 to upgrade your
> >     configuration files (fstab, bootloader) to refer to stable UUIDs
> >     instead of unpredictable device names.
>
> I wonder how this will affect FAI; both the disk partitioning and
> bootloader configuration? Is this a good thing to wait for, or a major
> headache ahead?

I'm not sure how this upgrade will proceed if UUIDs are already in use;
setup-storage has supported UUIDs ever since (using the fstabkey:uuid option)
and myself I'm also using a preinst script to put the UUIDs into grub's
menu.lst. That seems to work really well as device names weren't usable as keys
on (multiple) SCSI devices anyway.

Best,