setup-storage + grub2

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Apr 13 10:54:18 CEST 2010

> Hi,
> Adrian von Bidder wrote,
>
> > Issues confirmed, and I've reported these twice on this list already.
> >
> > I just switched to LILO, works for me.
>
> I think the patch in the experimental tree does not work as
> expected. To boot from LVM boot volume I changed the script to
> following:
>
> error=0 ; trap "error=$((error|1))" ERR
>
> $ROOTCMD grub-mkimage --output=/boot/grub/core.img biosdisk part_msdos ext2 lvm

From some earlier post I gathered that biosdisk part_msdos ext2 were
auto-detected anyway and not necessary. Could somebody check whether they are
necessary are not?

> $ROOTCMD update-grub
> $ROOTCMD grub-install --modules="biosdisk part_msdos ext2 lvm" --no-floppy "(hd0)"
> $ROOTCMD grub-setup "(hd0)"
>
> exit $error
>
> Having support for raid and serial and lvm seems to be to big for
> core.img.

I'm ok with dropping serial; is dropping raid necessary as well? Does it in fact
mean that one cannot combine raid and lvm?

> @Michael: I think we need some tweaking here. device2grub does not
> work correctly for LVM boot support for me. The method in svn trunk
> does work correctly for simple boot via primary partition.

Could somebody send me their /boot/grub/device.map with LVM? As far as I
understand device2grub just parses this file, so probably it just requires a bit
of tweaking.

I'd be more than happy to make the grub2 stuff of experimental (and actually
also mainline FAI) finally work; it's just that I don't have any system running
grub2 and got not hosts to do any testing. I'm therefor relying on your help.

Best,