resizing an lvm volume with setup-storage

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Apr 8 15:56:48 CEST 2010

> > > I'm afraid it doesn't, fai fails in task partition. fai.log is at
> > > http://paste.debian.net/68000/.
> > >

> > I'll look into it...
> >

> In this case, the problem is somewhat unrelated: The partitions don't seem to
> fit on disk in this way. That is, there isn't sufficient space for 512 * 1024 *
> 1024 bytes before sda2.
>
> Was that layout created using setup-storage? Probably yes. What I do suspect is
> some rounding issue, and, well this is the culprit: The partition has been
> created such as to end at a cylinder boundary, which is considered for the final
> disk layout, but not for intermediate checks.
>
> I'll try to fix this ASAP.

Well, it's a bit of a problem to fix this in setup-storage: The experimental
version nowadays creates partitions that end in sector boundaries, but previous
versions incl. mainline make partitions end in cylinder boundaries (on msdos
disk labels). As sizes are rounded downwards, those 512MiB ended up being only
534610944B; using the new sector-alignment it would be 536870912B, which doesn't
fit in the smaller free space.

If that system is just a test server, it's probably best to drop the preserve*
stuff for a moment and update sizes. If not, try 509 instead of 512, that should
be fine.

Thanks a lot,