resizing an lvm volume with setup-storage

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Apr 6 23:04:45 CEST 2010

[...]

> >Well, ideally parted would do. But that doesn't seem to work:
> >
> >Command parted -s /dev/vg0/usr resize 1 0 8192B had exit code 1
> >(STDOUT) Error: File system has an incompatible feature enabled.  Compatible features are has_journal, dir_index, filetype, sparse_super and large_file.  Use tune2fs or debugfs to remove features.
> >
> >Do you have any ideas which options you enabled on that filesystem that aren't
> >supported by parted? I'm not sure whether resize2fs works in those cases.
> I haven't set any options on the filesystem, it has been created by
> setup-storage using "mkfs.ext3  /dev/vg0/usr".
> Current options are the following: has_journal ext_attr resize_inode
> dir_index filetype sparse_super large_file.
>
> I can clear 'resize_inode' with tune2fs, but not ext_attr, so parted
> still fails.
>
> However, resize2fs works fine, whatever the options are, and doesn't
> need the final size:
>
> root at lutil:~# resize2fs /dev/vg0/usr
> resize2fs 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
> Resizing the filesystem on /dev/vg0/usr to 2097152 (4k) blocks.
> The filesystem on /dev/vg0/usr is now 2097152 blocks long.

I believe resizing of logical volumes with ext2/ext3 should work as of
3.3.5+experimental1; for the moment, resize2fs will *not* be used on normal
partitions as I'd need to take huge pains to make that work reliably, because
resizing of the underlying partition cannot be done using parted *without*
resizing the filesystem as well. Adding support for this is scheduled for some
later release of parted (see first Q in resizing section of
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/faq.shtml).

Best,