resizing an lvm volume with setup-storage

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Mon Apr 5 23:58:14 CEST 2010

[...]

> The only remaining question is what to do if the volume to be
> resized does not exist : setup-storage may either complain as it
> currently does, or ignore the resize flag. As you say it's mainly a
> documentation issue. My feeling is that the volume line (IE I want
> an 8GiB volume) has a higher weight than the resize option, but
> although I represent 100% of the users by now I may be wrong.

Implementation-wise this is really only a matter of changing a "die" into a
"warn" + reset of the resize-flag. I agree that the volume specification has
somewhat higher priority than some tiny resize option, BUT: I do like to point
out possible errors to the users. And resizing a non-existent volume is one of
those, I believe. I guess I'd rather take the pains of adding a resize_if_exists
option instead of going brute-force here, if you really need it.

If all this were interactive, it would really easy - but we cannot ask the user
whether they want a volume to be created, we can only blindly follow the configs
or refuse to do so.

Best,