SOLVED: How to edit grub menu (menu.lst) properly?

Alex Ingle ingle.as at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 16:22:09 CEST 2009

Hi Michael,

> So why don't you just put appropriate options (kopt=splash etc.) in the
> menu.lst you fcopy to the target system?

As I understand NFSROOT is mounted as read only.
Can $FAI/files/boot/grub/menu.lst/GRUB be modified during FAI installation?

But it is a good method to create the correspondent menu.lst for every CLASS
we use.
So I see the next steps FAI does:
1) instsoft hook copies "temporary" menu.lst to the target
(command fcopy -s $FAI/files2 /boot/grub/menu.lst/CLASSNAME)
2) instsoft task installs configured packets successfully ( our deb packet
can find and modify menu.lst )
3) GRUB script installs and upgrades grub.
4) finally menu.lst depending on defined CLASS is copied to the target.

This method works. We slightly modified it to avoid creation of addition
directory that stores all CLASS implementation of  menu.lst for all the
CLASSes. Instead we created script that modifies $target/boot/grub/menu.lst
depending on defined CLASS in one of LAST scripts by sed command. Like
ifclass CLASS_HW1 && sed -i -e '/^kernel/s/$/ vga=791 splash/'
$target/boot/grub/menu.lst
ifclass CLASS_HW2 && sed -i -e '/^kernel/s/$/ vga=785 splash/'
$target/boot/grub/menu.lst

And this works now.
Thank you very much for all your help!

Kind Regards,