grub issues during FAI install

Toni Mueller support-fai at oeko.net
Tue Sep 1 17:38:29 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, 01.09.2009 at 11:28:55 +0200, Thomas Neumann <blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de> wrote:
> In my opinion, fai should be able to support both options. I don't mind
> the  default behaviour, as long as I'm able to change it to my needs.

it should imho just be better documented what to do, and where.

> Use cases that come to mind:
>
> - single disk / single os

-> one bootloader

> - multiple disk / single os -> raid configuration

-> one bootloader on all disks

> - multiple disk / single os -> separate system and data disk

-> one bootloader (I don't "boot" from data disks)

> - multiple disks / multiple os -> OS select via grub
> - multiple disks / multiple os -> OS select via bios

Options that imply changing BIOS settings are imho outside the scope of
FAI. FAI also has no easy way to learn how BIOS reconfigurations might
have changed the drive enumeration, and from my perspective, pulling
drives and re-inserting them into different slots is in the same realm
as is fiddling with BIOS settings.

> - no bootloader at all

This is imho also outside of the problem space of how to install a bood
loader, and it is, afaik, easy to do with the current state of the
software, too.

> Also chosing between installing the bootloader in the mbr or in a
> partition is a nice feature to keep.

I have no objections here. The general problem seems to be that
installing a boot loader and arriving at a working system is not as
robust as might be desirable. At least I would be glad if I could solve
this problem first. ;-}

Kind regards,
--Toni++