grub issues during FAI install

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Tue Sep 1 11:28:55 CEST 2009

hiya

>> For whatever reason this has happened: it shouldn't. There could be
>> several reasons to have multiple bootable devices (e.g. different
>> OSes), and they should be selectable in the BIOS.
[...]
> As long as we stay with grub (I have no other suggestion to make),
> booting different operating systems should be attainable by modifying
> menu.lst appropriately, and should imho have nothing to do with the
> BIOS settings of the machine(s) in question.

You are both correct?

There are good reasons to have different bootloaders on different disks
(MBRs, partitions, whatever) but there are also good reasons to copy the
same bootloader to different devices.

In my opinion, fai should be able to support both options. I don't mind
the  default behaviour, as long as I'm able to change it to my needs.

Use cases that come to mind:

- single disk / single os
- multiple disk / single os -> raid configuration
- multiple disk / single os -> separate system and data disk
- multiple disks / multiple os -> OS select via grub
- multiple disks / multiple os -> OS select via bios
- no bootloader at all

Also chosing between installing the bootloader in the mbr or in a
partition is a nice feature to keep.

tschüß
thomas