Problem with Intel igb network driver on client

Gordon Grubert grubert at physik.uni-greifswald.de
Tue Sep 1 13:45:16 CEST 2009

Thomas Lange wrote:
>     > I'm booting from network. But I'm a little bit confused because there
>     > is the message to boot the root file system followed by an ide output
>     > before the kernel panic occurs.
> I'm also wondering why this happens. IIRC there's a kernel option that
> disables ide probing. Maybe it's not a problem of the network card,
> but of a broken ide driver. Try to disable ide support, maybe just
> remove the ide driver from the initrd.
I am not really sure how to do this. Therefore, I commented out all
ide lines in the scripts under /usr/share/initramfs-tools/ of the
nfsroot and recreated the initrd.

General question:
There are TWO initial ram disks: i) inside the nfsroot and
ii) located for the tftpd boot process.
What is the role of both these initrd files?

As long as I have modified the first initrd, nothing changed
during booting. Then, I have copied the initrd from i) to ii)
and the messages of the ide modules has gone away. Then, I've
added "modprobe igb" to scripts/live-premount/modules, recreated
the initrd, and copied it from i) to ii).

Now, the message during the boot process is:
Begin: Mounting root file system ... [TIME] Intel(R)
Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 1.0.8-k2
Copyright ...

IMHO, it cannot be an ide problem because the ide subsystem
is not loaded. The igb driver seems to be loaded correctly.
But why the root file system cannot be loaded?

Thanks in advance,
Gordon