Creating etch nfsroot - how different is this from setting up a Lenny root?

Leen Smit leen at service2media.com
Thu Oct 15 16:50:42 CEST 2009

(if this is a double post, Im sorry. Exchange is acting up..)

Hello all,

Im sorry to bother you again, but I'm kind of stunned as to what is
happening now..
Due to the issues I was experiencing with our old setup coping over to a
newly installed fai-server, I dediced it would be much better to setup
up fai cleanly, and recreate the classes by hand.

What I have:
Lenny server, 64bits arch.
Cleanly installed fai-quickstart.
empty /srv/
I dont change anything what so ever, and run fai-setup.

I end up with:
Fully populated /srv/, with a nfsroot, config space and a tftp dir. I
can create new nodes from this straught away, out of the box.
Editing classes is a working as normal and as expected
So nothing wrong here.

The problem I run into:
I need an ETCH deploy. I copied the base.tgz from the out-of-the-box
lenny nfsroot to /root.
Then I go edit /etc/fai/apt/sources, change the sources to etch. I also
edit /etc/fai/make-nfs-root to change FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP to etch.
I delete /srv/* , and run fai-setup
This completes with one error:  "ERROR: live-initramfs was not installed
inside the nfsroot."
I need to copy the config files by hand, from the example dir.
When I try to install a client from this, I get an error that no
disk-config is found for this class/host in /var/lib/fai/config
So I copied the config dir to /var/lib/fai/config, and restarted the
install. I get the same error!

How can this be?
Thomas explained that the config directive is defined in /etc/fai. But
how can the fact that I only change the sources and debootstrap options
have so much effect ?

As a work around: Can I create my own chroot env. install what I need,
and create a tarball from that to use it as a basefile?

-- Leen Smit