setup-storage: resizing ntfs

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Oct 15 15:15:11 CEST 2009

Hi Andreas,

I'm terribly sorry for replying this late. I'd still hope you find the time to
reproduce the problem, but see below.

[...]

> > PS.: NTFS may cause several other problems as well - you've got a backup, don't
> > you?
> I am using a test machine, no data to lose ;-)
> Your solution works, but only with fixed sizes. The next step would be
> to have a variable size. What I want is to shrink the existing sda2 just
> enough to make room for the (fixed size) root partition (+swap, I forgot
> in the above listing). Unfortunately, this
>
> primary   /windows 10240-81920:resize   ntfs   -
> does not work, setup-storage complains about "not enough space" when using this on a 60GB hard drive. It tells me it requires something like (sda1 + 81920 + 20480). Looks like it is trying to always use the maximum size. Omitting the upper limit does not work, either. Only this works:
> primary   /windows 10240:resize   ntfs   -
>
> If this is a limitation of setup storage, would there be a way using a hook?

This is not intended, no. I'll review the respective code, but meanwhile it
would be great if you could produce debug output (do export debug=1 in one of
your class/*.var files) and send the log (private mail is fine, of course). That
would help a lot in trying to find out what is going wrong there.

Thanks in advance,