Using KVM/Qemu with FAI

Russell Jones russell.jones at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 20:58:42 CEST 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to get FAI working with Linux Kernel Virtual Machines. I had a go
myself using the FAI and syslinux docs, and could get the KVM to load a
kernel (once I'd set up tftp/pxelinux.cfg/default), but not mount the NFS
export. I was able to mount it manually from the initrd.img

kvm -boot n -tftp /my/tftp/ -bootp /pxelinux.0 -hda /my/4g-pxe-test.img -vnc
:1

This is how pxelinux.cfg looked when I gave up.

DEFAULT test1
LABEL test1
KERNEL vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-amd64
APPEND root=/dev/nfs nfsdir=10.0.2.2:/my/nfsroot/
initrd=initrd.img-2.6.26-2-amd64 network ip=dhcp nfsaddrs=10.0.2.15:10
.0.2.2::255.255.255.0:test1::dhcp
INITRD initrd.img-2.6.26-2-amd64
IPAPPEND 2

I've had a look around on the wiki and the mailing list for setups that
people have working. Nothing on the mailing list that I could find, but the
wiki had
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Local_testing_with_KVM%2C_VDE_and_dnsmasq.
I've left some comments on the discussion page there about how I got on.
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Talk:Local_testing_with_KVM%2C_VDE_and_dnsmasq

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Russell