OT: broken raid configuration persists too hard [SOLVED, sort of]

Toni Mueller support-fai at oeko.net
Thu Oct 1 10:31:56 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, 28.09.2009 at 18:11:57 +0200, Toni Mueller <support-fai at oeko.net> wrote:
> after reading mdadm(8) again, I'd like to know why it might be
> undesirable to create raids with version 1.2 metadata.

I thought I'd record my findings for the archive:

1. mdadm metadata must be in 0.9 format because kernel
   autoconfiguration does not yet work with newer formats.

2. As to why I can't delete the superblocks, this appears to be a known
   mdadm or kernel problem which has only been fixed very recently. Cf.
   BTS #548882 and a number of similar bugs.

Kind regards,
--Toni++