aptitude getting stuck

Rudy Gevaert rudy.gevaert at ugent.be
Wed Nov 25 16:07:31 CET 2009

Below is merely some 'interesting' information:

we have a fai server running sarge and fai 3.2.8.  It is being used
and is exporting a Etch 32 nfsroot.
We have support for installations of Etch 32 and 64 bit, and Lenny 32
and 64bit.

Previously, on occasion the FAI installations of Lenny 64bit with FAI
would stop after the last package was downloaded!  Then aptitude would
just wait, and wait.  And nothing would happen.  We are ofcourse using
a LENNY 64 bit base image for that.  And last week it stopped
functioning totally.

I set up a new FAI server (3.3.2+experimental4) and tried the
installation (by default it took are lenny 64bit image) and it showed
the strange problem.

However when I removed our own base image and used the default
base.tgz it worked.

If I put base.tgz onto the old server and use that one, my
installations work too.

So there must be an issue somewhere, but I don't know how.

Anyway, I have my old FAI server working again, and have a new one
too.  Now it is time to migrate...

Rudy

Rudy Gevaert          Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be          tel:+32 9 264 4734
Directie ICT, afd. Infrastructuur  Direction ICT, Infrastructure dept.
Groep Systemen                     Systems group
Universiteit Gent                  Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be