booting from host with multiple network cards

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Sun Nov 22 15:45:08 CET 2009

hiya

> * bootoption ethdevice: use specified network device for network booting
> (PXE) instead of default (being eth0). Feature contributed by Helge
> Wagner. Usage example: ethdevice=eth1
[...]
> I think about adding a newer live-initramfs package to the FAI
> repository, so you will automatically get a version that supports this
> new option. Any comments?

This is just a crude hack.

I don't care which interface is configured, as long as a usable interface
is configured. (If there's no dhcp on this network then it's not "usable"
- at least for mounting the nfs shares.)

Yes I agree that this would be somewhat better then the current situation,
but how much better exactly? Sure you are able to specify a specific
interface, but this only means that you need to write different
tftp-stanza for different host-requirements - and have someone (manually)
decide which to use for what.

But exactly this is one of the great strengths of fai: I really don't care
what system (xen vm, vmware vm, physical server type a, physical server
type b) I need to install. I just launch my trusty fai and let the
configspace figure out the "correct" configuration.

tschüß
thomas