Installation problems with NFS mount on sun Fire X2100 with suspicious kernel behavior

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Nov 20 14:32:16 CET 2009

>   Hello,
> this should not be the case, because the other machines (V20z) have
> also two interfaces. I distinguish them very clearly by MAC address in
> /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf and /etc/ehters which I am used to verify in
> bootlog and /var/log/daemon.log resp. syslog.
>
>   This was also issue for me, but I found how to cope, so it is not
> the case, I am affraid.

[...]

Of course you will properly distinguish those on the server side, but the
problem with multiple network interfaces is actually the naming the kernel
chooses. Unless all network interfaces are connected to the same layer-2
network, the initramfs-tools scripts may fail to obtain an address, because
AFAIK only eth0 is tried, which could be anyone of your interfaces, and that may
well change with each bootup. If you want to avoid any trouble of this kind, you
will need a udev rules file I think.

Note that this step of obtaining an address in totally independent of the
network-boot step, which is initiated by PXE BIOS of the NIC.

HTH,