[OT?] BCFG2 (was: FAI 3.3 released)

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Thu Nov 5 00:58:36 CET 2009

hiya

> Currently I am evaluating bfcg2 and puppet, both the next generation
> cfengine to be. The Idea is to install a base system with preseeding and
> let bcfg2/puppet do the rest. The outcome should be a simple (quick)
> rollout, a consistent configuration based on rules. And changes of the
> clients are mangened through the central config space.

@BCFG2: Did you perchance find a howto / tutorial that doesn't suck?

All I've found so found so far is rather lacking.
- http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/bcfg2
- bfcg2 manual
- Marko Jung's presentation at FFG 2007/GuuG Berlin
- some small websites here and there.

Especially the official documentation is very good in mentioning things,
but never explaining them. (e.g.
http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/bcfg2/raw-attachment/wiki/WritingSpecification/specification_overview.png
shows "Svcmgr", but
http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/bcfg2/wiki/Bcfg2Doc#Generators does not
explain it.)

Nevertheless I've put together a working test/assert for ssh-client +
ssh-server configuration for a single host. But it took me about 5 hours,
which is kind of a steep learning curve...

tschüß
thomas