Starting a FAI installation using kexec

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Thu May 28 10:51:08 CEST 2009

Hi Jean!

> i think the goal here is to take any machine from a provider that you
> do not control via dhcp or pxe and use fai anyway to reinstall it
> from scratch.

I couldn't have explained it better.

 > If you knwo how i am interested :)

Well, as I already mentioned, some ideas (which have worked in the past)
can be found here:

http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Using_FAI_to_install_a_root_Server

Just that method described there isn't as elegant as it would be using
kexec (or possibly root_pivot, I am currently looking into that
alternative) because you always have only one shot. I.e. you change the
boxes' boot loader config to boot the FAI install kernel with NFS root.
Either that succeeds and you're find or you have made any mistake which
prevents it from working (typo in IP address, wrong root partition in
grub config, install kernel does not recognize the NIC, you name it) and
you'll be in for a complete re-staging of the server to try again. Read:
1-2 hours waiting.

Even a bit worse, actually ...

We do have a DC provider who does not have an automated system to
re-stage the server with their default image to get ready for the next
attempt. We do have an automated reset though.

Of course, all of this here would be definitely a bit easier if you had
a remote KVM console for the server. But then again, this is a feature
which is prohibitively priced in many DCs. And you'd need it only once
for the installation.

My point is:

Is there any difference between loading an install kernel with a given
parameter line via PXE or doing the same off kexcec. In theory there
shouldn't be. In practice, there seems to be ...

Regards,
Torsten