Patching kernel with aufs (riding a dead horse?)

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Thu May 7 11:32:40 CEST 2009

* Carsten Aulbert <carsten at welcomes-you.com> [20090507 10:50]:
> Thomas Lange schrieb:

> >     > Has someone got a patch ready which I can apply to a recent 2.6.27 (or
> >     > later) kernel to get aufs in there? I've been struggling yesterday
> >     > evening without much success to get this into the kernel tree, somehow I
> >     > made something wrong:
> > Have a look at grml. IIRC they use a very recent kernel, and they also
> > use FAI and live-initramfs to build their live CD.

> I'm using that now, but it breaks in the initramfs:

> debug output from live.log (typed in manually, so might contain typos)

> + mount -t aufs -o
> noatime,dirs=/cow=rw:/live/image/live/filesystem.dir=rr aufs /root

> mount: mounting aufs on /root failed: No such device
> + panic mount aufs on      /root failed with option
> noatim,dirs=/cow=rw:/live/image/live/filesystem.dir=rr

> then a few lines showing the variables DEB_{1,2,3,4}, LIVELOG and DEBUG

> then I get the shell

> The directory /root exists (part of / whicih is of type rootfs (rw)

> /live/image is of type nfs (/srv/fai/nfsroot on the nfs server)

> /cow is of type tmpfs(rw)

> Any idea? So far google only gave me blanks.

The initramfs includes aufs? (Rebuilding the initramfs in case of
question is always a good idea ;))

How does /proc/cmdline and /proc/mounts look like?
Step into debugging using the break= bootoption (like for example
break=live-bottom).

PS: Using a digicam to make a screenshot is a good idea to avoid
confusing typos. :)

regards,
-mika-
--