Enabling PXE from add-on cards

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Fri Jun 12 10:10:10 CEST 2009

Hi,

Not really directly related to FAI, but since I already feel stupid, I
think I may ask this here if someone could give my brain a (small) kick.

We received two batches of machines recently and they now all have PCIe
x1 e1000e based Intel NICs as an add-on card.

However, I can only seem to get the BIOS to recognize some of these
cards although they look rather similar to each other, thus my questions:

* Does anyone have experience with Asus P5E Deluxe(not 100% sure it's
this type) and/or M3N-HT DELUXE boards and add-on cards? I cannot use
the onboard cards since we run MTU 9000 Jumbo frames in our network and
both the Marvell as well as the nvidia NICs seem to have trouble with it.

* I've tried different BIOS versions so far and even when matching the
BIOS settings and version sometimes the cards are detected and sometimes
not (So far I have not done enough iterations if this is related to the
cards or the host machines).

* Apart from this, has anyone some link to a guideline for Intel based
NICs how to ensure that the cards are PXE capable as well as how to make
them recognized by the systems BIOS?

Thanks for any help

Carsten