FAI & Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Richard Grant rfg3 at mcs.le.ac.uk
Tue Jun 9 11:27:00 CEST 2009

I have been working on getting fai (I'm using 3.2.19) to install jaunty
clients for a few weeks now. I could not, however I tried, make it
install from a jaunty server. Instead, I did the following:

Install a PC with debian lenny (in our case we are using a virtual server).
Install fai on the lenny server. Set it up as normal.
Create a lenny nfsroot.
Create a jaunty base.tgz using pbuilder and replace the lenny one in the
nfsroot with this one. (otherwise it appears to install correctly but
various bits don't quite work)
Change the /etc/apt/sources.list in the nfsroot to point to the jaunty
sources.
OPTIONAL: the lenny kernel would not boot our new hardware, so I had to
compile a jaunty kernel. Install this into the nfsroot, and copy the
kernel parts to /srv/tftp/fai

This will now successfully install jaunty. You can do the above for 32
or 64bit client installs (or both, as I have).

Hope that helps. Let me know if you want clarification of any of the steps.

Regards,

Richard Grant
Senior Computer Officer
School of Mathematics & Computer Science
University of Leicester