FAI & Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Jonathan M. McCune jonmccune at cmu.edu
Fri Jun 5 15:46:28 CEST 2009

Hi Robert, list,

I have encountered the exact same problem with 3.2.4+svn4837.  I too
thought I made progress by creating the '/usr/bin/udevinfo' directory,
and then encountered the '/var/lib/fai/config does not exist' error upon
booting the clients (doesn't seem to matter if I chboot to 'install' or
'sysinfo').  Worse, a simple `ls /var/lib/fai/config` at the resulting
shell shows that the directory _does_ exist.

My sense is that another result of the 'usr/bin/udevinfo' problem is
that the nfsroot doesn't get fully configured, but I have only a few
days' experience with FAI.

I noticed that make-fai-nfsroot on Ubuntu has a '-U' option specifically
to do with update-initramfs on Ubuntu (the above error wrt
/usr/bin/udevinfo occurs when trying to create the initramfs), so I
tried passing that to fai-setup, but I get a lot of aptitude errors.
I've attached my fai-setup.log (UPDATE: no I haven't, it's too big for
the listserv.  You can see it here:
http://sparrow.ece.cmu.edu/~jmmccune/fai-setup.log).

I also value any information about experiences with Jaunty.  I would
really like to get this thing going today.

Thanks!
-Jon