Setup FAI to other distribution

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Fri Jul 10 10:21:49 CEST 2009

Hi Riza,

Riza Nuari wrote:
> FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="jaunty http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu"

Which is wrong - that's not how it's described in the howto.

Do as written there - or in the other Multi-Distribution howto, and
you'll succeed!

> E: No such script: /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/jaunty
> chroot: cannot run command `apt-get': No such file or directory
> Creating base.tgz

It'sd really ugly that FIA continues from here because that'stotally
useless.
But it is because debootstrap on hardy cannot bootstrap jaunty.

You could try installing the jaunty debootstrap, but it's better to use
the native dist in the nfsroot, and use base images, as described in the
howto's!

> And my other question.

You could really make a mail for each question :)

> Can i setup fai server to install centos on the client. Because i want
> my server (ubuntu 8.04) will be the installation server to install
> ubuntu 9.04 and centos 5.3

Descriobed in the wiki.

> The simple output that i want is : When i turn on my client computer, it
> will be menu to choose what i want to install. And fai-server will
> perform installation with the distribution that i choice
>
> Is that possible to install on client computer like that?

It's possible.
You can add a hook with an interactive dialog message at the very start
and set the according variables and classes.

Henning