FAI-3.2.16 and Broadcom-Ethernet/PXE/DHCP-problem with ipconfig

thomas timpo lundefinedl at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 01:59:58 CET 2009

We have seen the same thing at my company where the system freezes in the init scripts at ipconfig.

What was actually happening we found was that ipconfig was waiting for a dhcp response on an ethernet interface that was not actually plugged in.  The live scripts in the initrd are flawed in that they do not use ipconfig properly within do_netmount() function, as they do not pass the timeout argument, so ipconfig likely tries the first network interface and waits regaurdless of a timeout.

Thomas