live-initramfs

Henning Fehrmann henning.fehrmann at aei.mpg.de
Wed Jan 14 18:48:02 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:04:55PM +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > Actually, compiling the aufs modules is not really straight
>     > forward since one needs the right combination of aufs sources and
>     > kernel sources. I took the debian patched 2.6.26 kernel sources and
>     > the 0+20080719-4 aufs source.
> If you are using the plain Debian kernel, you can use the Debian
> package aufs-modules-2.6-486 for e.g. and do not need to compile the
> aufs modules.
>
>     > Gave up waiting for root device.  Common problems:
> You can add the parameter "debug" to see more messages.
>
>     > I would guess the problem is the missing /deb/nfs in the intrd.
> In my initrd, there's no /dev at all. I think udev will create this.
>
> I can give you access to my nfsroot (a tarball), to see if the boot process is working.
>
> For fast help, please join the IRC channel #fai on irc.debian.org

Ok, the kernel option 'boot=live' did it. Thank you.
It starts the live scripts in the initrd.

I realized something else:
In order to allow the nfsmount in the intrd I have to use
 'nfsroot=/srv/fai/nfsroot' as a kernel option. Any additional parameter
like  v3, tcp, rsize=.. or wsize=.. prevents the mount.

More crucial, we need to mount the nfsroot via eth1.
The default fai-nfsroot has eth0 in the initramfs.conf.
I had to chroot into  fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir, set the right option, generate a
new initrd and copy it to the right place.

I guess, I have to write some nfsroot-hooks to do it automatically or
is there an easy way?

Thank you,
Henning