FAI packages for Ubuntu 8.10 (both server and client), version 0.01

Adrian Gibanel Lopez agibanel at alumnes.udl.cat
Tue Jan 13 21:15:59 CET 2009

Hi FAI mailing list,

   As you might know from my former mails I have been working on making
Ubuntu's 8.10 FAI package work on my Ubuntu 8.10 server.

Ubuntu's 8.10 FAI package is set up by default to serve Ubuntu hardy to
the install clients while I needed it to server Ubuntu 8.10.

Although I only wanted to modify fai package some errors in the boot of
the installation have led me to modify also: initramfs-tools,
live-initramfs and udev.

Finally I have not used udev and it seems that no problem has happened.
The reason why I modified initramfs-tools is because of mount problems.
The reason for modifying live-initramfs is also because of mount problems.

I think that the mount problem is because of busybox's mount version uses:

-o bind syntax while the dinamic version (normal version) uses --bind
syntax. (The same thing happens with remount option).

Another reason for modifying live-initramfs is that a mount in early boot
made somewhat loose ld configuration. So ld.real is run from the chroot so
that all the libraries are read ok.

Finally I want to add that I had to add a hook so that /var/lock and
/var/run get created at /target/var so that udev did not complain (boot
was not successful at all, read only system, many errors).

There are some special points about my release:

- I have not signed my packages. (I want to learn it better before having
my own digital signature and everything related to it).
- The installation finishes with some errors but Ubuntu installation is
usable.
- My gforge interface has not let me upload the files with the filename
that I wanted so I "re-tarred" them in another .tar.gz file.

Source code files are the shortest filenames.

Finally I have forgotten to carry .diff files so if you are in a hurry for
studying the differences it you will have to compare with Ubuntu's 8.10
packages' source code. (In a day or two I will upload them and maybe post
them into the mailing list so that we discuss them.).

Here there is the url for the 0.01 version of these three packages:
http://forja.rediris.es/frs/?group_id=428

As your always your comments are welcome.
--
Firma Automática 1: