Problems with FAI 3.2.15 and Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1)

Ryan Steele ryans at aweber.com
Thu Jan 8 15:02:06 CET 2009

Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > I've built and tested FAI 3.2.15 from an ubuntu hardy server (x86_64)
>     > using VMware instances, and they boot and install fine.
>
>     > With the same vmlinuz and initrd an actual hardware box hangs at
>     > mounting /.  I've tested with break=mount and break=mountroot, and I
>     > only  get the initramfs prompt with break=mount.
>
>     > The bootlog is here:  http://pastebin.com/m2518c13d
> This box has two network cards. Maybe the kernel swaps eth0 and eth1,
> so you do a PXE boot from the first network card, which is then detected
> as eth1 by the kernel.
>
> There maybe also problems when you are using 2.6.24 and unionfs/aufs
> with ubuntu. I think there were some problems with older ubuntu kernel
> versions in the past.

The PPA unionfs/aufs packages work fine with Ubuntu, which is what I
used when I set up my FAI server because the official packages had bugs.
Also, check to make sure the network card drivers you need are in the
initrd - this is exactly the behavior you'll see if the network drivers
aren't there.  With a VM, it's a virtual interface, so there aren't any
'real' hardware drivers for a specific model NIC.  If it's a problem
with a multi-interface NIC, an older thread between myself and Ralf
Utermann describes a patch that worked for me in that instance:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-fai@uni-koeln.de/msg01553.html

HTH,
Ryan