Problems with FAI 3.2.15 and Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1)

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Thu Jan 8 11:30:34 CET 2009

    > I've built and tested FAI 3.2.15 from an ubuntu hardy server (x86_64)
    > using VMware instances, and they boot and install fine.

    > With the same vmlinuz and initrd an actual hardware box hangs at
    > mounting /.  I've tested with break=mount and break=mountroot, and I
    > only  get the initramfs prompt with break=mount.

    > The bootlog is here:  http://pastebin.com/m2518c13d
This box has two network cards. Maybe the kernel swaps eth0 and eth1,
so you do a PXE boot from the first network card, which is then detected
as eth1 by the kernel.

There maybe also problems when you are using 2.6.24 and unionfs/aufs
with ubuntu. I think there were some problems with older ubuntu kernel
versions in the past.