gpt disk label and /boot

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Feb 25 23:48:02 CET 2009

> Hi,
>
> I have some issue with gpt and grub and i just wanted to know if the
> setup-storage configure the /boot with the gui
> 21686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649 (so that grub can use it). I do not
> know how to verify this at all some i am kind of lost :)

Most probably, this is currently _not_ the case (assuming you want the
BIOS-style version and not EFI). I guess a simple "parted print" should help you
verify this. If the partition is set to bios_grub, you are fine; if it has the
flag "boot", it's an EFI boot volume. I think this will best be fixed by adding
a specific disklabel "gpt-bios" to setup-storage that deals with such specifics.
Doing so is not really hard, I would just like to make sure that it will see
some testing. If you're willing to dive into this, I'd happily prepare a patch
in the next few days.

>  of course things get complicated when the /boot  is on a raid/lvm
> partition. How do you handle this case ?

Does that interfer in any way with the GPT stuff? Or is it just the possible
problems with grub?

[...]

Thanks,