tg3 and lenny

Russ Allbery rra at debian.org
Sun Feb 15 23:07:15 CET 2009

hOOlä'gOO khän <khn.hoolgoo at gmail.com> writes:

> debian lenny is being inflicted on the world as 'stable' now.
>
> Has anyone ever successfully FAI'd a machine with a Broadcom tg3 nic
> and Lenny ?  Yes, you guys with recent Dell machines.

I've successfully built a Dell 1950 with FAI that requires the Broadcom
NetXtremeII firmware.  I think this is the same thing that you're
referring to, although I'm not positive.

> The broadcom firmware is in Lenny, but it's in the 'non-free' repo.  I
> am curious if anyone in the world manages to PXE boot a machine with
> lenny and a tg3 nic without a lot of hassle.

I added firmware-bnx to NFSROOT so that the initrd image was built
including it, made sure that package was also on the list of packages to
install when building a new system, and everything just worked.  You just
have to make sure that the firmware is included in the initrd images of
all of your boot kernels, both for PXE and after installation.

--
Russ Allbery (rra at debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>