tg3 and lenny

hOOlä'gOO khän khn.hoolgoo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 19:02:41 CET 2009

debian lenny is being inflicted on the world as 'stable' now.

Has anyone ever successfully FAI'd a machine with a Broadcom tg3 nic
and Lenny ?  Yes, you guys with recent Dell machines.

I tried sticking an initrd.img in /srv/tftp/fai that had the tg3
module in there, with firmware , but as the Dell boots up, it pauses
for a while (I assume its looking for the firmware ) , then
the console has a message about "looking for broadcom firmware..." ,
then after it fails of course the fai process fails.

I can use a machine running etch and fai server to netboot the Dell,
but that's no fun.

The broadcom firmware is in Lenny, but it's in the 'non-free' repo.  I
am curious if anyone in the world manages to PXE boot a machine with
lenny and a tg3 nic without a lot of hassle.