Dual NIC = hang

Robin Lee Powell rlpowell at digitalkingdom.org
Tue Feb 10 01:43:20 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 04:53:33PM -0500, Ryan Steele wrote:
> Really, try the thread I linked in my last response to this
> thread.  Are  you sure you're sourcing each output file generated
> by ipconfig?
> https://lists.uni-koeln.de/pipermail/linux-fai/2008-December/006457.html

Thanks man; I ended up doing something almost identical, entirely
independently.

The kernel panics were ... interesting.  Apparently there's some
sort of timeout on the nfsroot stuff where if the machine took too
long to get a working NIC, the panic occured; i.e. I could make it
happen with a sleep statement.

Once I realized that and stopped trying to prevent the kernel
panics, things went smoothly.  :)

I guess I'll tidy up your changes, since they seem cleaner than
mine, and push them to live-initramfs through reportbug.  The whole
point for my company for using FAI is to use something that isn't
homebrow; that's why I get so antsy about pushing fixes into
mainline.

Thanks everybody for your help.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something