tg3 network cards [SOLVED]

Ryan Steele ryans at aweber.com
Mon Dec 8 15:14:42 CET 2008

Ryan Steele wrote:
> Ralf Utermann wrote:
>> Ryan Steele wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> Just out of curiosity, what does your udev rule hack look like?  I
>>> wrote
>>> mine in Perl, which isn't available in the initramfs.  I'd be
>>> interested
>>> to see your implementation if you care to share it.
>>>
>> it's just a hook sh script that does a copy of a fixed rules file
>> prepared
>> for this class of machines, nothing generated dynamically. It contains:
>>
>> copy_exec /usr/local/fai/alcc-ost/70-persistent-net.rules
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/
>>
>> and that's all.
>>
>> Bye, Ralf
>>

> I think this is the bug I was hitting:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/182940
>

> It may or may not be present in Debian as well.  I'm going to grab
> that newer version of initramfs tools and stick on my Hardy boxes and
> see if a stock initrd works...
>

> Respectfully,
> Ryan

Well, the latest initramfs-tools package from intrepid didn't quite do
the trick, but led me to a solution.  I ended up making the following
changes to /scripts/live:

638:    # make /scripts/live use configure_networking just like
/scripts/nfs does
639:    #ipconfig ${DEVICE} | tee /netboot.config
640:    configure_networking

And this change to /scripts/functions, at the bottom of the
configure_networking function:

356:     # If we don't know the device ahead of time, we need to check
net-*.conf
357:     # source ipconfig output
358:     #if [ -n "${DEVICE}" ]; then
359:     #       # source specific bootdevice
360:     #       . /tmp/net-${DEVICE}.conf
361:     #else
362:        # source any interface as not exactly specified
363:        . /tmp/net-*.conf
364:     #fi

Basically, when we PXE boot with the pxelinux.cfg file set up by
fai-chboot using ip=dhcp, we end up using the /scripts/live shell
script, which uses the 'ipconfig' binary.  But, we need to tell ipconfig
to time out for an interface for which it can't find a DHCP server,
which is what configure_networking does using 'ipconfig -t'.  I'm not
sure why /scripts/live doesn't use the configure_networking script by
default, or if this is even the right thing to do, but it works for me,
no matter which interface I have cables in or which interfaces can
contact a DHCP server via ipconfig.  If anybody has any comments, please
feel free to voice them.

HTH,
Ryan