Dual NIC = hang

Roel van der Made rvandermade at ebay.com
Sat Feb 7 00:38:16 CET 2009

On 2/7/09 12:14 AM, "Robin Lee Powell" <rlpowell at digitalkingdom.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 05:59:26PM -0500, Ryan Steele wrote:
>> There have been quite a few threads on this, and it seems to be a
>> common  sticking point.  The workaround I used involved editing
>> the initrd and  editing some of the scripts and arguments to the
>> embedded ipconfig  binary which makes the request to the DHCP
>> server.  The thread  describing my fix starts here:
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-fai@uni-koeln.de/msg01553.html
>
> Given the level of difficulty involved in cracking open an initrd
> (not that it's *hard*, just tedious and way more than just altering
> a config file or a script) is this going to be rolled into FAI
> proper at some point?

I tend to have this work-around'ed by always have the server pxe-boot from
the first NIC (these are Dell 1950's, 2950's, MX1000 blades etc.) AND use a
>= 2.6.24 kernel for FAI nfsroot install. This works fine for me, we have
Dell deliver our servers with the bios pre-configured like this.

Currently we are in several projects where we're FAI'ing hundreds of servers
:)

> -Robin

Luck,

Roel.