setup-storage : Error: Error initialising SCSI device /dev/sda - Invalid argument

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Mon Dec 14 13:17:48 CET 2009

> Hello Michael,
>
> I've been away, so I'm not back to follow up on this.
>
> Quoting Michael Tautschnig <mt at debian.org>:
>
> >Could you do another run and run parted manually from the shell
> >you should get
> >dropped into? Like so:
> >
> >parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print (should produce said error)
> >parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
> >parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print (should work)
> >
> >I'm just a bit worried for two reasons: (i) I haven't seen this error before,
> >blank disks should cause a somewhat different error, and (ii)
> >depending on your
> >Xen configuration you may or may not have /dev/sda really
> >available and only see
> >/dev/sda1 instead. (I'm using the latter configuration style myself.)
> >

> root at shibidp1:/# parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print
> Error: Error initialising SCSI device /dev/sda - Invalid argument
> root at shibidp1:/# parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
> Error: Error initialising SCSI device /dev/sda - Invalid argument
> root at shibidp1:/# parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print
> Error: Error initialising SCSI device /dev/sda - Invalid argument
> root at shibidp1:/# ls -l /dev/sda
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Dec 14 10:46 /dev/sda
> root at shibidp1:/# ls -l /dev/sda1
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 Dec 14 10:46 /dev/sda1
>
> I'm exporting a logical volume to the xen vm.  This logical volume
> is then the disk.

You might want to post you Xen dom-U configuration file to check back, but I'd
assume that the dom-U can't access /dev/sda the usual way. Maybe Henning
(Sprang) can comment on this, he knows a lot more about all the Xen stuff. The
way I'm using Xen I can't access /dev/sda and consequently cannot do any
partitioning inside dom-U.

With setup-storage you can use

disk_config sda virtual

and configure filesystems, etc. for each (existing!) partition/device. See also
the RAID_XEN_VIRTUAL example that is shipped in disk_config/ as part of the
simple example configuration.

Best,