(Thinking aloud) Priorized defaults

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Dec 10 23:40:30 CET 2009

[...]

In addition to my preceding mail I'd like to add some more info:

> These are the package definitions I currently use.
> (These are _only_ for installing the correct kernel.)
>
> PACKAGES aptitude-r OS_DEBIAN X86_32 !VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
> PACKAGES aptitude-r OS_DEBIAN X86_64 !VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
> PACKAGES aptitude-r OS_UBUNTU !VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
> PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES11 !VIRT_XEN !VIRT_VMW !CHROOT X86_32
> PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES11 !VIRT_XEN !VIRT_VMW !CHROOT X86_64
> PACKAGES aptitude-r OS_DEBIAN X86_32 VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
> PACKAGES aptitude-r OS_DEBIAN X86_64 VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
> PACKAGES aptitude-r OS_UBUNTU VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
> PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES X86_32 VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
> PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES X86_64 VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
> PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES10 VIRT_VMW X86_32 !PAE_d !CHROOT
> PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES10 VIRT_VMW X86_32 PAE_d !CHROOT
> PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES10 VIRT_VMW X86_64 !CHROOT
> PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES11 VIRT_VMW !CHROOT
> PACKAGES aptitude OS_DEBcommon
> PACKAGES aptitude GRUB OS_DEBcommon
> PACKAGES zypper GRUB OS_SLES
> PACKAGES aptitude LILO OS_DEBcommon !VIRT_XEN

As these are only there for something as simple as a single package one is
tempted to suggest a (new) way of doing

PACKAGES aptitude-r
linux-image-2.6-$ARCH

(plus some more rules for SLES where packages are named differently), but IMHO
that only shifts the logic to some script that carefully chooses the value of
$ARCH. I think it just hides the fact that all these configurations are
different. But maybe there are much better ideas around. I'd appreciate that.

Best,