(Thinking aloud) Priorized defaults

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Thu Dec 10 12:54:27 CET 2009

> IIRC, the "-" is an apt feature rather than fai's. Maybe it could be
> expanded in some way, for example to include multiple nesting levels
> with parentheses, or an if-then-else like structure in the
> package_config/* files?

Exactly that's why I don't use "-". yast/zypper really doesn't like this
notation. On ~could~ use it for debian/ubuntu, but then again: Try to
explain this difference to a novice.

"For operating system a and b you use this notation. For OS c you use this
notation and for OS d and e you use this notation."

"WTF, mate?"

You are trapped in a maze of little passages. All different.

These are the package definitions I currently use.
(These are _only_ for installing the correct kernel.)

PACKAGES aptitude-r OS_DEBIAN X86_32 !VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
PACKAGES aptitude-r OS_DEBIAN X86_64 !VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
PACKAGES aptitude-r OS_UBUNTU !VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES11 !VIRT_XEN !VIRT_VMW !CHROOT X86_32
PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES11 !VIRT_XEN !VIRT_VMW !CHROOT X86_64
PACKAGES aptitude-r OS_DEBIAN X86_32 VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
PACKAGES aptitude-r OS_DEBIAN X86_64 VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
PACKAGES aptitude-r OS_UBUNTU VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES X86_32 VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES X86_64 VIRT_XEN !CHROOT
PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES10 VIRT_VMW X86_32 !PAE_d !CHROOT
PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES10 VIRT_VMW X86_32 PAE_d !CHROOT
PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES10 VIRT_VMW X86_64 !CHROOT
PACKAGES zypper OS_SLES11 VIRT_VMW !CHROOT
PACKAGES aptitude OS_DEBcommon
PACKAGES aptitude GRUB OS_DEBcommon
PACKAGES zypper GRUB OS_SLES
PACKAGES aptitude LILO OS_DEBcommon !VIRT_XEN

tschüß
thomas