(Thinking aloud) Priorized defaults

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Mon Dec 7 21:31:09 CET 2009

hiya

I'm thinking about implementing some prioritized defaults. The main gist
is something like this:

If FAI isn't told anything, then the result of the installation will be a
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 10 in 64bit. If you tell fai to
install a 32bit machine, then this results in a 32bit SLES. If you just
want a Debian Box, then you'll get Debian Lenny / 64bit. If you just want
a "debian style" box, then this will result in a Ubuntu 8.04LTS.

My config space is currently self configuring, the only part that must be
manually provided is the OS, the architecture and the ssh protocol
preference. (Else the installation waits for input.)

Main idea behind the above thought is, that one could try to implement a
policy set like a spam filter. Some independent checks are made (e.g. per
environment), scores are given and the scores determines a specific
action.

I'm not sure how this could pan out and if it's really useful after all.

Did someone already implement or wish for something like this?

Any other ideas?

tschüß
thomas